MúzeumDigitár

Close

Search museums

Close

Search collections

Museum of Music History

About the museum

- Since its foundation in 1969, the Institute of Music of the Hungarian Academy of Arts and Sciences has been collecting objects related to the history of music. These include instruments, old recordings (for example piano rolls), photographs, and music-themed works of art, medals, and coins.
- The unique collection of the Museum of the History of Music contains thousands of objects and images from all regions of Hungary.
- The collection of musical instruments comprises 529 objects, among which are eighteenth-century string instruments by Leeb, Thir, and Stadlmann; nineteenth-century string instruments by Brandl, Mönig, and Ferenczy; guitars by Rudert and Stauffer; a harp by Holtzmann; pianos by Pachl, Beregszászy, Broadwood, and Erard, upright pianos by Pape and Lorencz, and a conductor’s upright piano by Ibach as well as table pianos and giraffe pianos. Along with these instruments the collection includes wind instruments: flutes by Schöllnast and Koch, an English horn by Erturi, Hungarian tárogató by Schunda and Stowasser, and a number of brass instruments.
- Among the highlights of our collection is a positive organ, which was made for a church near Eger in the 1770s. Our inventory also includes many folk instruments not only from Hungary, but also from neighboring countries and throughout the world.
- The Collection of Music-Historical Objects includes the memorabilia of famous composers and performers, among them Béla Bartók, Ernő Dohnányi, Ditta Pásztory Bartókné, and Aladár Rácz.
- The Collection of Fine Art and Folk Art includes paintings, etchings, statues, and 700 commemorative coins and medals from the legacies of Ervin Major, Miklós Aurer, and Miklós Borsos.
- The Collection of Photographs contains 6,375 music-related photos.
- Our museum also has a historical collection of booklets, postcards, documents, and letters from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
- We also have a collection of 2,250 piano rolls.
- The Museum of the History of Music moved to Buda Castle in 1984. The Erdődy Palace, its current location, was built in 1796 and rebuilt in 1912 in neo-Baroque style by its then owner, Baron Lajos Hatvany-Deutsch. After 1945 the Erdődy-Hatvany palace served as a school. In 1969 the building was donated by the city council to the Hungarian Academy of Arts and Sciences. The museum organizes guided tours, often followed by concerts in the exhibition hall or in the panoramic Bartók Room overlooking the Danube.

Open: from Tuesday to Sunday, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Closed on Monday

Director: Anna Baranyi PhD, senior research fellow
mail:baranyi.anna@btk.mta.hu
tel: (36-1) 214-6770 / 252

József Brauer-Benke PhD, research fellow
mail:brauer-benke.jozsef@btk.mta.hu
tel: (36-1) 214-6770 / 253

Lászlo Gombos, research fellow
mail: gombos.laszlo@btk.mta.hu
tel: (36-1) 214-6770 / 323

Zsófia Borz, assistant research fellow
mail: borz@zti.hu
tel: (36-1) 214-6770 / 253

Péter Gerő, restorer
mail:gero.peter@btk.mta.hu
tel: (36-1) 214-6770 / 113

Ticket and guided tour information:
tel: (36-1) 214-6770/ 272

Current exhibitions

  • Magyar hegedűkészítők - A Reményi család öröksége
    DescriptionA kiállítás a háromgenerációs Reményi hegedűkészítő család munkásságát mutatja be: Reményi Mihály (1867 Pest – 1939 Budapest) hegedűkészítőt és szakértőt, fiait, Reményi Lászlót (1895 Budapest – 1964 Budapest) és Reményi Zoltánt (1900 Budapest – 1973 Toronto), valamint unokáját, Michael Reményit. Reményi Mihály 1890-ben alapította a műhelyt és az üzletet, amely a 20. század elejétől 1951-ig a Király utca 58–60. szám alatt működött. Fia, Zoltán 1959-ben Torontóban a Queen Streeten nyitotta meg a Reményi House of Music üzletet, amelyet fia, Michael Reményi a Bloor Streetre költöztetett és továbbfejlesztett. A Reményi műhelyben dolgozó mesterek közül Bárány Dezső, Bergmann András, Cseri Kálmán, Frirsz Miksa, Michelberger János, Muntyán István, Papp Sándor, Mirth József, Damm Pál, Sáránszky Pál és Szép Ernő munkái szerepelnek a tárlaton. A kiállításra kerülő 24 mesterhangszer zöme a Torontóban élő Michael Reményi tulajdonát képezi, ezeket a Zenetörténeti Múzeum, valamint Baki Róbert, Holló Bence és Semmelweis Tibor gyűjteményéből származó hangszerek egészítik ki. A Szentes testvérek jóvoltából könyveket és dokumentumokat mutatunk be. Kurátor: BARANYI Anna Közreműködő: BLASZAUER Róbert, BORZ Zsófia, GOMBOS László Látványterv: VÁRNAGY Ildikó Kivitelezés: GERŐ Péter, HAJSZ Viktor Hangszerészek: BAKI Róbert Kölcsönző személyek: Michael REMÉNYI, BAKI Róbert, HOLLÓ Bence, SEMMELWEIS Tibor, SZENTES Testvérek
    From
    Until

Collections

Musical Instruments CollectionShow objects [488]Search inside the collection
Zenetörténeti Tárgy GyűjteményShow objects [21]Search inside the collection
Képző- és iparművészeti gyűjteményShow objects [60]Search inside the collection
Zongoratekercs gyűjtemény
Fotótár
Adattár

Objects